Water Connections

Services First Limited Water Connections both Foul & Clean:

We offer developers and homeowners assistance in order to make a new connection to the public sewer.

The owner of a building has a lawful right to have that building – or its drain or sewer – a public sewer for domestic sewerage purposes. This right is given and controlled by Sections 106 to 109 inclusive of the Water Industry Act 1991.

Section 106 of The Water Industry Act 1991 requires anyone intending to make a connection to a public sewer to give 21 days notice. Once approved, they generally allow the applicant to make the connection with our inspector monitoring the work to ensure that it is done to the required standard.

Water Authorities require a site location plan and other documentation indicating:

The type of connection (surface water, foul water or combined)

The location of the connection (separate points should be labelled individually)

The size of the proposed connection

The size of the sewer

The level of connection (interpolated)

The method of connection (e.g. manhole or junction)

Details of planning conditions (if applicable)

There are two levels of charges for sewer connections dependent on whether the connection is in public highway or private land.

The applicant arranges for their contractor to make the connection. All costs involved fall to the applicant. We recommend that a suitably qualified and experienced contractor is used.

Connections of highway drainage/road gullies are to be treated as connections in private land as these pipes cannot be adopted by the Water Authority.

When a property is connected to the public sewer network for the first time, a sewerage infrastructure charge is payable. This is usually collected at the same time as the charges for any new water supply to the property.

Foul water shall not be disposed of to a surface water sewer and surface water should generally not be discharged to a foul or combined sewer.

New Connection Public Sewer

Connections to Public Sewers shall preferably be made using Methods of Connection that protect the integrity of the public sewer which must be maintained at all times.

Anyone intending to make a connection to a public sewer is required by law to give the Statutory Undertaker notice. New Connection Application Forms should be completed and submitted along with the appropriate fee (see Administration and Inspection Fees below) to:

On receipt of correctly completed form and correct fee Water Authorities will post out your Receipt of Notice which includes your unique connection reference number (see Inspection by Water Authorities Inspector below). Within the 21 day notice period Water Authorities may object (in writing) to the connection or make comment on how it should be undertaken. We therefore advise that you plan your work to allow adequate time for the 21 day notice period to elapse before proceeding with the work and arranging inspection..

When planning highway excavations you may pass a copy of your Certificate of Connection Application to the Local Highway Authority as proof that you have given notice to us of making the connection

If the work involves excavations in the public highway (including footways and grass verges) We will obtain consent from the Highway Authority (Local or County Council). The Highway Authority will require you to use an approved or certified contractor in accordance with the New Road and Street Works Act 1991

We will ensure that all sewer connections properly designed connections and shall be inspected and approved by the Water Authorities inspector before any additional pipes are laid or before concreting or back-filling.

Water Authorities have the power, under Section 106 of the Water Industry Act 1991 to refuse to permit a connection to a public sewer that appears to be prejudicial to the public sewer network in terms of the:

Mode of construction of the connection, or

Condition of the drain or sewer




We are very successful in negotiation regarding failed schemes and have had numerous approved after our input
Click here to contact us.